The Academy offers a high expectation, excuse-free learning environment with a strong college-going culture. Students are immersed in learning and growth opportunities that ensure they develop the content knowledge, life skills, scholastic aptitude and power to succeed in college and beyond.
The Academy will promote, encourage, and support academic excellence. Its curricular programs and resources will assist in the development of ethical, academically accomplished young men and women who are confident in their abilities, innovative in their thinking, and active members of their community. The Academy will make significant use of technology such as computers, smart boards and tablet computers, MP3 players and cell phones for student learning.
Students will demonstrate excellence in core academic disciplines
a. Read and write well;
b. Listen skillfully and communicate clearly;
c. Show a meaningful understanding of mathematics—see relationships and patterns, compute fluently and apply skills and procedures to solve problems;
d. Show knowledge of historical events and an understanding of historical research, sources, chronology and interpretation;
e. Show knowledge of scientific principles and an ability to apply methods of scientific inquiry.
College for All
- College Courses
- Project-based learning – Connect projects with college students and professors
- College Fairs – bring college representatives to school
- College Visits – locally and out of state
- Academic coaching
- ACT Prep classes
College Support Staff
On Track to Graduate
- U of M Dearborn
- Henry Ford Community College
The Academy is committed to working with students to acquire an appreciation of world cultures, diversity and global inter-connectedness. Our goal is for students to leave the Academy as well-educated, responsible, compassionate individuals who have participated in numerous opportunities to travel abroad and are ready to make a positive difference in the world.
Students will develop awareness, understanding, and appreciation of what it means to be part of a community
a. Work effectively with peers and others to achieve a goal;
b. Manage time and resources to meet commitments and obligations;
c. Understand the roles of a leader, a follower, and an individual in a group;
d. Understand and respect the differences within and among various communities and negotiate differences with others tactfully.
e. Complete a minimum of 80 hours of community service
The Academy will also provide a holistic health and wellness program that fosters both the mental and physical development of the whole student. Students will develop a strong lifelong commitment to personal responsibility for their own health and wellness.
Students will develop a clear sense of purpose and path and pursue a personal passion
a. Set goals and reflect accurately on progress toward those goals;
b. Demonstrate self-discipline and work hard to achieve goals;
c. Recognize personal strengths and weaknesses;
d. Demonstrate curiosity about the world and an eagerness to learn and grow;
e. Appreciate many kinds of positive, personal expression (including the arts, music, language, sports and hobbies);
f. Acquire expertise in and passion for at least one of these activities;
g. Recognize the importance of living a healthy lifestyle.
Pursuing your Passion
- Participate in entrepreneurial competitions;
- Solve problems in the community by being a social entrepreneur;
- Create their own business;
- Work with business leaders and mentors in the community.
The Y Detroit Leadership Academy High School is a public charter school funded through State School Aid. As an alternative to the Detroit Public School system, parents do not pay tuition for their children to attend our charter school.
Grade Levels Served by DLA
How to Apply for Admission
To apply for admission to the YMCA Detroit Leadership Academy, please download an application. Once your application is complete, either:
1. Drop it off at school
Applications can be left at the main office of the Detroit Leadership Academy High School.
2. Drop it off at your local YMCA
YMCA staff can collect your completed application at the front desk. To find out which YMCA is nearest you, please click here.
3. Mail it to the following address:YMCA Detroit Leadership Academy High School
5845 Auburn St.
Detroit, Michigan 48228
4. Fax it to 313-242-1527, our school office
An open lottery process will be used if the number of applicants exceeds capacity.
The Y Detroit Leadership Academy High School is conveniently located on Auburn Street, which is just off of Evergreen Road, near the intersection with Ford Road (M-153) in Detroit.
DLA High School Address
5845 Auburn St.
Detroit, Michigan 48228
Using the interactive map below, you can scan the nearby area or get directions to the DLA school.
Contact DLA High
Questions about DLA High?
We are pleased to answer any questions about our school. To contact us, you may fill out the form below and we will respond as quickly as possible.
However, don't hesitate to call us on the phone at 313-769-2015.
Budget and Salary/Compensation Transparency Reporting
The Detroit Leadership Academy is committed to transparency concerning the operations and management of our school. Please see links below for transparency reports.
Board Approved Budgets
- DLA Original 2014-2015 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Amended Final 2013-2014 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Amended 2013-2014 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Original 2013-2014 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Amended Final 2012-2013 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Amended 2012-2013 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Original 2012-2013 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Original 2011-2012 General Appropriation Resolution
Current Bargaining Agreements
- Current Bargaining Agreements – The district hires all staff through a third party.
Employer Sponsored Health Care Plans
- Employer Sponsored Health Care Plans – The district hires all staff through a third party.
Bids required under section 5 of the public employee health benefits act, 2007 PA 106, MCL 124.75
- The district hires all staff through a third party.
Employee Compensation Information
District Paid Lobbying Costs
- The Detroit Leadership Academy does not participate in lobbying activities or utilize lobbying services