Daily activities for all grades include:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- to read with comprehension,
- to write intelligently,
- to speak articulately,
- to understand the scientific nature of the world,
- to think creatively and analytically,
- to be proficient with technology, and
- to appreciate and value artistic expression.
YDLA will utilize Core Knowledge for Kindergarten through the 6th Grade, as the framework for its curriculum. In addition to Core Knowledge, textbook series and computer-based instructional learning tools will be selected to supplement and complement the core curriculum. For more information on Core Knowledge visit www.coreknowledge.org.
YDLA recognizes that learning differences exist within its student population and will work within its mission and resources to determine the best strategies for developing individual students’ potential. YDLA staff will work one-on-one with students and consistently partner with parents to ensure the needs of all students are met.
Health & Wellness
YDLA is inspired by Dr. Stephen Covey’s book, “The Leader In Me” which incorporates the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, with academic achievement as a strong foundation for the school’s culture.
7 Habits of Highly Effective People:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive® • You’re in Charge
- Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind® • Have a Plan
- Habit 3: Put First Things First® • Work First, Then Play
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win® • Everyone Can Win
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood® • Listen Before You Talk
- Habit 6: Synergize® • Together Is Better
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw® • Balance Feels Best
For more information visit www.theleaderinme.org.
- Increase students awareness of global issues
- Cultivate respect and appreciation for diversity
- Help students understand the connections between their local actions and experiences and what is happening in the rest of the world
- Prepare students for 21st century careers
Throughout the school year, students will participate, organize and lead a variety of activities including:
- International speaker series
- International celebrations and festivals
- Oversees/International experiences for students
- Virtual interactions with students from other countries
Community service projects will help students:
- Apply academic, social, and personal skills to improve the community
- Make and influence decisions with real results
- Grow as individuals, gain respect for peers, and increase civic participation
- Experience success no matter what their academic ability level
- Gain a deeper understanding of themselves, their community, and society
- Experience reciprocity
- Develop as leaders who take initiative, solve problems, work as a team, and demonstrate their abilities while contributing to community development
The Y Detroit Leadership Academy is a public charter school funded through State School Aid. As an alternative to the Detroit Public School system, parents do not pay tuition for their children to attend our charter school.
Grade Levels Served by DLA
How to Apply for Admission
1. Drop it off at school
Applications can be left at the main office of the YMCA Detroit Leadership Academy.
2. Drop it off at your local YMCA
YMCA staff can collect your completed application at the front desk. To find out which YMCA is nearest you, please click here.
3. Mail it to the following address:
YMCA Detroit Leadership Academy
Detroit, MI 48223
4. Fax it to 313-242-1527, our school office
An open lottery process will be used if the number of applicants exceeds capacity.
DLA is conveniently located off of Telegraph Road near I-96 (Jeffries Freeway at the Davison Avenue Exit) in Detroit.
DLA Elementary Address
Detroit, MI 48223
Using the interactive map below, you can scan the nearby area or get directions to the DLA school.
Questions about DLA?
We are pleased to answer any questions about our school. To contact us, you may fill out the form below and we will respond as quickly as possible.
However, don't hesitate to call us on the phone at 313-242-1500.
Budget and Salary/Compensation Transparency Reporting
The Detroit Leadership Academy is committed to transparency concerning the operations and management of our school. Please see links below for transparency reports.
Board Approved Budgets
- DLA Original 2014-2015 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Amended Final 2013-2014 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Amended 2013-2014 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Original 2013-2014 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Amended Final 2012-2013 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Amended 2012-2013 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Original 2012-2013 General Appropriation Resolution
- DLA Original 2011-2012 General Appropriation Resolution
Current Bargaining Agreements
- Current Bargaining Agreements – The district hires all staff through a third party.
Employer Sponsored Health Care Plans
- Employer Sponsored Health Care Plans – The district hires all staff through a third party.
Bids required under section 5 of the public employee health benefits act, 2007 PA 106, MCL 124.75
- The district hires all staff through a third party.
Employee Compensation Information
District Paid Lobbying Costs
- The Detroit Leadership Academy does not participate in lobbying activities or utilize lobbying services