About YMCA Education Services
YMCA Educational Services, (Y-ES), is a wholly-owned and operated subsidiary of the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit dedicated to children and building on the 100-year educational mission of the YMCA. YMCA Education Services is solely and wholly focused on the needs and unique learning styles of Michigan’s most promising youth who live in the region’s most challenged communities.
From the establishment of the Detroit College of Law in 1891 to founding of the YMCA’s Hudson School for Boys in 1916, the YMCA’s roots in education today give seed to the third YMCA created charter primary school and now a high school designed to graduate world-class learners with a global future.
About Our Schools
The mission of each YMCA Detroit Academy is to provide a stimulating and supportive environment that empowers students to achieve their greatest potential and to be leaders in the community.
The founders of the YMCA Detroit Academies envision a school and overall learning environment where students are given the best possible chance to make a difference in their lives, their families and their communities. The Academy is a place where students are immersed in learning and growth opportunities using best practice instructional approaches and provided with unique motivational experiences. An expectation that all students can achieve academic excellence will form the foundation of structured teaching and learning at the Academy.
Our graduates experience Success and are academically prepared to take advantage of opportunities in a changing society. They are innovative leaders in their field, healthy individuals and community advocates who make a positive difference in the world.
Our parents experience a sense of Pride due to the progress and success of their children. As highly respected partners in the educational process, parents work cooperatively with school personnel to establish goals, support their child’s continual learning and pursuit of a college education.
Our staff experiences a sense of Accomplishment and is held in high esteem. Staff work collaboratively, are highly qualified, innovative, effective, and committed to the success of all students. The Academy staff are positive youth role models.
Our community views the Academy as a Model for other schools and organizations. The school is innovative in its thinking and program offerings and is committed to quality education for all students. The community readily partners with the Academy to empower students and strengthen the community.
The Academy establishes:
- A positive school climate and culture for all students, staff, and stakeholders cultivated through emphasizing core values, embracing leadership and personal responsibilities, caring about oneself as well as one’s family and the broader community, a global perspective towards issues, and a balanced life style of mind, body and spirit.
- A school culture that celebrates learning and intellectual curiosity in a safe, secure environment that respects each student’s right to learn.
- A variety of adult role models that exemplify the values, ideals and work ethic that contributes to academic success and good citizenship.
- A set of values, norms and behaviors that become part of each student’s personal experience and give rise to a strong commitment to community service and care for one another.
- Programs, activities and wrap-around services that provide students with the skills and confidence necessary for success in college, work and life.
Students attending the Academy will:
- acquire an enduring love for learning;
- engage in innovative learning activities;
- demonstrate an understanding of traditional ethical principles;
- exhibit good citizenship and leadership skills;
- participate in community service projects; and
- commit to living a healthier lifestyle.
About Our Leadership
How to Apply for Admission at DIA
Apply at DIA
To apply for admission to the YMCA Detroit Innovation Academy, please download this application. Once your application is complete, return it to the school (you can drop it off at the office or mail it).New Providence Baptist Church
Attn: Detroit Innovation Academy
18211 Plymouth Rd.
Detroit, MI 48228